Hey hey! Today I’m bringing you a post full of sweet treats that will be sure to make your holiday delicious! This is the 3rd Annual Christmas Cookie Recipe Swap hosted by White Lights on Wednesday
As I’ve mentioned before, I have a huge sweet tooth. Chocolate is by far my biggest weakness. Teaming up for a cookie recipe swap was just the thing this girl needed 🙂 My partner for this swap was Katie from Celebration Lane. I sent her a recipe for White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Cookies (see that recipe here). Katie sent me a recipe for Chocolate Crinkles with Peppermint Kisses. I have to admit that I had no idea was a “crinkle” cookie was. Nothing a little search on Google couldn’t fix. This recipe was super easy to make and the outcome was a delicious, minty cookie that is perfect for the holidays. The best part, you can change the kisses on the top to any of the number of Hershey Kisses flavors out there to get just the right cookie for your taste. Here’s a shot of the yummies fresh out of the oven.
This recipe is so easy to make. It would make a great beginner cookie for kids. Not only are they pretty to look at, they taste delicious too! We only made half of the recipe (just because I knew my sweet tooth did NOT need 60 of these babies lying around) and we still ended up with 3 dozen cookies. Ours were made just in time for our Girl Scout Troop Christmas party. All 12 girls (plus some parents) gave this recipe 2 thumbs up.
The only tweak I made to the recipe was I omitted the peppermint extract. I thought I had some, turns out I didn’t, and I wasn’t going back out for it. I thought that the peppermint kisses gave it a “just right” amount of peppermint, although I’m sure the peppermint extract would be just as tasty.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. green colored sugar (optional)
- bag of peppermint red & white striped Hershey’s Kisses
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract until well mixed.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1/2 Tablespoon balls. Roll balls into mixture of powdered sugar/green sugar. Place on cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, until cookies crackle and dough doesn’t look raw. While cookies are baking, unwrap the kisses and make some room in your refrigerator or freezer for the cookie sheets. When the cookies come out of the oven, immediately place a kiss in the center of each cookie and press lightly. The kisses will start to get melty, so it’s best if you are able to place the cookie sheet (with the kiss cookies still on it) directly into the freezer or refrigerator until the kisses can cool off and set up.
That’s not all, folks!
As a fun freebie to go along with your new recipe, I’ve created a free printable recipe card for you to use. The first sheet in the download is blank for you to write you own recipes on and the 2nd sheet has the Chocolate Crinkles with Peppermint Kisses from Katie at Celebration Lane & the White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Recipe already written out for you. Happy Baking!
Be sure to visit this year’s Host & Co-Hosts for the 3rd Annual Christmas Cookie Recipe Swap